Yes, but you must provide a medical certificate of inability to work and the probable duration. If the certificate indicates that you are likely to be ill for more than six months, you are no longer viable in the sense of the law. You can then either:

  • Social money (if you live with people who are able to live together in a community of needs) or
  • Social assistance (if you are living alone).

Section § 8 Absatz 1 SGB II